Delia Derbyshire Day
Cookes Studios, Barrow-in-Furness
Saturday 5th August
Workshop 10.00- 13.00
Click here for workshop tickets (free admission)
Click here for performance tickets (£3/£5)
As part of this year’s Full of Noises programme, Octopus are excited to be hosting two special events celebrating the life and work of 1960’s electronic music pioneer Delia Derbyshire (1937-2001), most well-known for her work at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop where she produced the version of The Dr Who theme loved by generations of fans.
Workshop (ages 8+)
Free (booking required)
Make your own music inspired by Delia Derbyshire. This hands-on workshop is led by sound engineer/
music producer Caro C and composer/producer Mandy Wigby. After deconstructing Delia’s iconic
rendering of the original Dr Who theme tune and looking at some working notes from Delia’s archive,
you will have the opportunity to explore and play with found sounds, sampling and creating loops.
No experience necessary – just bring your ears and your imagination!
19:00 – 21:00
An intimate evening of live performance and film brought to us by Delia Derbyshire Day – a Manchester-based organisation which celebrates the life and work of electronic music pioneer Delia Derbyshire and commissions new work based on the DD archive. The evening programme includes:
- Full of Noises have commissioned prize-winning Cumbrian sound artist Jenn Mattinson to make a new piece inspired by the time Delia lived in Cumbria in the 1980’s which will receive it’s first performance this evening.
- A selection of work made for previous editions of DDD including:
- Caro C – “Audient, my dear” (2013) for electronics, voice, ping pong ball and ruler.Caro C is an electronic music producer, performer and sound engineer with a passion for found sounds and languages, but operating at a time when the technology available is in stark contrast to the complex and time-consuming techniques used by Delia and her peers. With live digital visuals by Andrea Pazos.
- The Architects of Rosslyn – “The Waking Sleep” (2016). Mandy Wigby Producer/Composer feat. Howard Jacobs Composer/Musician – performing a live electronic and acoustic/foley soundtrack to a collage of films by artist and ‘movician’ Di Mainstone.
- DD Audio archive collage by David Butler with film by FON favorite Mary Stark – A camera-less 35mm film in response to the Delia Derbyshire Archive.
Read more: http://deliaderbyshireday.com/
Listen to Circular Thinking by Jenn Mattinson and Mark Vernon (2015) :